This was our last project in this semester’s 2D Design class. The photo is a bit blurry (low light pic) but hopefully it still shows what an interesting project this was. We prepped by mixing 15-20 different colors and then painting enough swatches so that we had between 10-20 1″x1″ squares of each color. Then we gridded out an 18″x24″ sheet of paper (I chose black) into 1″ squares. Then, we had 3 hours to place each color onto our grids. The rule was that we could work with only one color at a time, and once we decided we had placed enough squares of that color, we could not return to it. At the end of the 3 hours, we were done. Our piece had to stand as-is.

For me, this was a really challenging assignment. Mixing color by hand is difficult for me, so it took hours and hours to come up with a color palette.  Each swatch had to be cut fairly precisely into 1″x1″ squares, so that was tedious (though worth the trouble in the end.) The final step, placing the colors in the 3 hour time block, was beyond stressful. I did not have time to really think about what colors would look nice next to others, and we were not allowed to pre-plan any patterns. The idea was to be spontaneous.

I was really surprised, then, to discover that my finished piece wasn’t bad at all. I like how it looks pixelated. I definitely love how the black ground makes the colors pop.

Turns out that spontaneity is a good thing.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s